View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #1044
Parody

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
How often do you visit the Steve Jackson Games front page/Daily Illuminator?
Front page: never.

Daily Illuminator: in recent years, only when the title in the Illuminator forum looks interesting. Given that I'm mostly here for Car Wars, don't like Munchkin, and don't play Ogre it's been mostly noise I ignore.

I'm somewhat surprised that you haven't converted the DI forum posts to include the entire text of the blog post (matching the RSS feed).

Speaking of which, I used to use the RSS feed as my main way to view Illuminator posts, but nowadays I mostly use my mail program (also my RSS reader) to make backups of my email and access it initially on my phone.

Quote:
Do you follow any of our social media channels?
Not really; I find social media in general has such a low signal-to-noise ratio that most of my gaming-related use of social media is via people linking to specific interesting posts. Notably:

Facebook: I do use this, but only because some of my family members post all of their pictures and news there and nowhere else. Other than those family posts my news feed is filled with Facebook's ads and people reposting garbage clickbait. Due to this I've never bothered following SJG's official Facebook page or becoming a member of any SJG product related groups there, and similarly I don't follow any other publisher's page or fan groups either. (I think I'm a member of one fan group for one product, but it's not SJG-related and it doesn't show up in the feed very often.)

Twitter: I have an account but stopped using it years ago as the folks I see in real life don't use it.

Instagram: Never bothered with an account there and only found out SJG has one there due to recent posts in this thread. I'm a little surprised that it hasn't been completely absorbed into Facebook already.

Google+: Apparently I joined a Car Wars group here at some point. I only found this out by launching the phone app to check to see, since I haven't been on G+ for months.

YouTube: While I do have a Google account (like most folks with an Android phone) I've never bothered following people on YouTube and on my desktop machine I'm almost never logged in to Google services. (It's easy enough to either bookmark a channel or remember the channel name.)

Medium: Never really thought about them as a social media site (it's just one of many blogging platforms, much like LiveJournal) but someone brought it up in that context. Another site where I've never had any desire to have an account or follow anyone. Also (FWIW), almost all of the posts I've read on there are from software developers so I wouldn't have expected a tabletop game company using it. Their layout bugs me in much the same way as the adaptive sites that decide that, because my web browser window is narrower than it is tall*, I must be on a phone or tablet so they remove all of the UI and resize the text to only fit a few lines per screen "page". :P

* Yeah, it's more involved than that, but it happens surprisingly often nowadays if you use what used to be called Aero Snap in Windows to make half-monitor-width browser windows.

Quote:
What can we do to put the news in front of you regularly?
Everything should be readily visible from the Illuminator, the individual product line pages/sites, and these forums. It really bugs me when SJG posts only appear on one site that isn't on sjgames.com and I don't find out until someone here posts a link. I don't want to have to follow you in so many different places, seemingly only determined by whichever one a particular staff member happens to like.

For example, over the time CW6 has had more active playtesting, reports and pictures of different playtests have been posted on Facebook, Twitter, and BoardGameGeek by SJG-related folks. Each of them were later referenced here, typically by the person who posted them but not in an announcement of them doing said playtest, and that's how I found out. Since these were public posts on those other sites, it would have been good (IMO) for each of those to have had a "We did (x), check it out here!" post in the main forum. Ideally (again, IMO) it'd be the other way around: you'd put posts on the forum or the main site with the story and pictures about said playtest and link to that post from the various social media outlets.

I don't see how driving traffic away from your main site is helpful to you. The site you can control should be the main one you use for informing folks about things, and the others should be places you can let people know about what you're doing so they can come to you for more information. But that's just me, and obviously I don't have numbers for how well posts in various places turn into sales for SJG.

Hopefully some of this rambling helps. :)