View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 07:24 AM   #123
joelbf

Default Re: Resolved,There is no point to statting up anything that is not a PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
If we agree to play a game where the outcome depends on the roll of the dice, and you unilaterally decide to misrepresent the true result in favor of one more to your liking, you are lying and cheating. These are bad things and should be discouraged.
If this is how you play your games I understand that _you_ need to stat out everything.

But I really doubt that most groups game this way. I'd guess that Fun > Dice > Rules for a substantial subset of all gaming groups, and in those groups you really don't need to stat everything. Not even everything related to PC's. It's perfectly ok for the GM to just state that this ally is a 25pt ally regardless of his/hers/its actual points total.

BUT that is actually irrelevant (or should be anyway). (My perception) of the root of the problem is that people that wan't stats get the answer "no you don't need stats", which while strictly true isn't helpful. (Or maybe you really need stats to be able to game but it doesn't really matter.)

Part of the problem is that "no you don't need to stat that" is sometimes the right answer. For the overburdened new GM with a group where it's ok to fudge things in the name of Fun (tm) I'd say it's good to hear that once in a while.

The tag solution might actually work IMHO.