View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #27
Andreas

Default Re: Defense bonus and ATR

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Your "realistic" bonus is whatever you points into. That's how GURPS works.
That is not really the case. There are bonuses which would give obviously unrealistic results. For example, +100 per doubling of ATR level would obviously be way too much. It would in no reasonable way pass reality testing, being slightly faster than someone else does not by itself make you near impossible to hit. Similarly (but not as clearly) it can be seen that +1 per doubling of ATR level would be too little.

It might be true that there is no single realistic solution (there are after all various interpretations of how GURPS values should coorespond to reality), but there is some range of values which could reasonably be considered realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Well skill 24 is a maximum Deceptive Attack penalty of -6. I think if you are seeing much higher than that, then you might want to consider capping skill levels, rather than inflating defenses.

I think they are asking after limits for a Power.
Whether capping skill levels is appropriate or not depends on how much skill varies in the setting. In settings whith a broad range of superhuman skill values, a cap of something like 24 would not be appropriate. Also, You can get a penalty larger than -6 with skill 24 in some circumstances such as if you use an All-Out Attack (Determined).

No, I'm not asking specifically after limits for a Power. I'm asking for what the realistic values are for someone who in every way fights faster than a normal person.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote