View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 10:41 PM   #53
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Common Magic for a TL3 Wuxia Fantasy Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Or if fireproofing means that fires don't work. The well off can afford magical replacements but the poor have to get cooked food from kitchens that can afford the magic. Given how lots of places had laws requiring peasants to use the mill owned by the lord instead of grinding it themselves this could be considered a feature by the powers that be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm not sure that either having enough witchlight to ban fire or building everything out of stone is economically viable. Only 1 in 100 commoners is a mage after all.

Well, not everything out of stone. It would be stone or magically reinforced wood. Structures would be made to last the generations I'd think so you'd get something like Essential Wood or Stone - though I don't intend to use either of those terms for the setting.

Quote:
If you look at the "Under the Hood" part, its using gadget modifiers, and as the GM you can presumably apply them to new "shapes". Both a big sail and a large wooden vehicle are SM+0. The Vehicle has higher DR, and so is slightly more expensive. You can probably get that back if its complicated enough to break down an pick up the extra -5% for that. The question of stealing is an interesting one. Vehicles are stolen in different ways than the gadget table lists. Is it easier to steal a whole boat, or just its sails? And does being its own getaway vehicle count for anything? The sail might come out cheaper if you say its easier to sneak the sail away that the whole vehicle, but that only happens in some conditions.
That way lay madness.

Quote:
If air is more associated with movement than wood, sails may just be more appropriate.
Movement and animus is going to be associated with either Wood or Fire.

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out what the best advantage to grant the self-moving boat/cart is. I'm trying to figure out if its broken to simply add move, or if adding DX is required. You may also want some allowance for size and ST, otherwise the winning strategy is to enchant the biggest thing possible.
Affliction to remove Sessile or No Legs (Portable) I'd think. But that's getting dangerous close to "Stat everything as a character" and...just...no. No.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote