View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #787
tbeard1999

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip - Key Advantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Ty, everyone.
This thread was talking about TFT dungeon adventures (and seemed to be discussing adapting lower level D&D adventures to this theme).

A couple of points: First the majority of my TFT campaign is NOT happening in dungeons. (Then again, I've added several talents to support non-combat stuff, as the base talent list is heavily combat focused.)
I'd say that a bare majority of my campaign took place in dungeons. When I re-start, probably the majority will. But, given TFT's combat system, we did have a lot of outdoor battles.

Quote:
Second, I would like to muse on what sets apart a TFT dungeon from typical D&D dungeons? Does TFT have a unique selling point, which will help it differentiate itself from the rest of the market? (I welcome further thoughts on this as some good ideas here may help TFT survive...)
Well, I'd submit that there are two...no, three points that characterize (heh) TFT in general - its exotic history, fast character generation and the best combat system evuh (IMHO):

1. TFT is a classic from the Precambrian Age of gaming that hasn't been available in 37 years. See what all the fuss is about.

2. TFT has one of the fastest and simplest character generation systems. And it yields a pretty well-defined character.

3. TFT's combat system is fast AND detailed. As you note, tactics and maneuver are very important. It is superior to 3e+ D&D, GURPS or any other system.

As for what would make it a good but different dungeon RPG, here my thoughts, many of which repeat your comments:

1. Big fights are doable.

2. Combat is fast and engaging. Tactics and maneuvers matter. Combats are faster than either 3.5+ edition D&D or GURPS.

3. Combat is more deadly and dramatic (though not so deadly that battles are inevitably bloodbaths).

4. Character generation is a breeze - you can have characters generated in 5 minutes and be playing.

Quote:
It sounds like Steve Jackson has already decided on adding a very powerful healing spell, but I hope he reconsiders.
You know, I just don't think that spell is all that useful. A typical wizard (say ST 10-11) can restore a whopping 3 points of damage per day. (3 ST to heal 1 point of damage).

BUT...I don't generally allow wizards to rest much between dungeon battles. I allow a 15-20 minute break before the monsters start mounting counterattacks.

So I suppose the spell IS powerful if you allow wizards to recover their ST between battles. Perhaps it should require more rest for wizards to recover ST? After all, an average wizard (ST10 ish) can recover completely in 2.5 hours of rest, which seems extreme to me. I'd require the lesser of 1 hour per point of ST or 8 hours of *quality* rest. Napping in a dungeon wouldn't qualify...
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote