Thread: Killing PCs
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #82
Gnome

Default Re: Killing PCs

With regard to PC death, I had generally shied away from them as GM in the past, but over the recent few years most of my players have made it clear that, at least in DF, they like PC deaths, or at least the strong possibility of PC deaths. It adds an element of danger and challenge to the game, and it keeps everyone on their toes.

I never plan the deaths, I just throw really powerful enemies and dangerous situations at the party. They usually find a way to survive despite my best efforts (at this point they're all 500+ points with HT 16+), but once in a while bad dice happen, or the players have terrible tactics, or the enemies focus all their attacks on one PC because he is perceived as the greatest threat. Over ~60 sessions we've had 6 PCs die, one of whom was subsequently resurrected. Three of those deaths occurred when the party was weaker (<200 points) and the margin for error was much smaller. These days I have to work really hard to make death even remotely possible, given how well-prepared the party is for every possible eventuality.
(More ideas for how to actually threaten an ultra-powerful DF party are welcome!)
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote