Old 05-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: HEAL spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Comments?

Heal (T) (IQ 14)
For each 3 points of ST that the wizard puts into this spell, he/she can cure one hit of damage on himself or another... Perhaps a Master Physicker who knows this spell would restore lost hits at only 2 ST each? I like synergies between Master Physicker and other kinds of healing.
A good magical analogue to the Master Physicker talent [with good supporting rational included; thank you ;-)]
  • Agree with IQ 14 - consistant with Master Physicker Talent.
  • Agree with ability to combine with MP Talent - one is Physical Realm, one is Magical Realm.
  • DISAGREE with ST cost/ratio - thinking a 4:1 might better keep this spell from being overly ab/used. At a cost of 4 for 1, would mean that a Wizard of ST-12 could on average put 8 ST into the spell to generate 2 points of healing, leaving the Wizard at ST-4 fatigue; YET only keeps a heavily injured figure away from the threshold of death and back in action, but not easily escaping the DX penalty for an injured figure at ST-3.

This might be too brutal for some folks tastes, but I personally feel injuries, and the labyrinth in general, are VERY dangerous and deadly things; and should not be so easy to "cheat" with rules which could easily undermine the inherent deadliness of injuries and dangerous environments. A higher spell cost would ensure that remains so.

That's my 2 cents on the above rules draft. Nice job!

Addendum Also, this spell relives the party of the time requirement that the Physicker Talents requires to use, and therefore negates the GM's ability to advance the Labyrinth Monsters closer to the party as they heal quietly to enjoy the benefit of healing - and that reduces the overall tension in the game - so more reasons why I feel the cost to the players should be higher at 4 to 1, compensating for the loss of time constriction, and balances the loss with the tension-filled dilemma of "Do we waste our Wizard to heal Monty, the Unconscious' or,... do we stop and try to heal him here with our Physicker and watch for trolls, or do we drag him behind as a lodestone and liability, or leave him for the slimes?" Having an on-demand supply of Wiz-o-Fix just kills all that drama and play-value.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 05-29-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Addendum
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote