View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Basic] Skills of the week: Bioengineering and Biology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
I think that the equivalent to Mechanics for Biology/Bioengineering would have to be Physician and Surgery, right?
Only when you use them to build large organisms. And even then, probably at large penalties because of the subject being highly nonhuman. Other than the special case of engineering slightly-modified humans. (Side thought. Is Physician the right skill for healing a tree?)

Biotech also produces microbes and non-living biological products. There may not be any Mechanic-equivalent skill for those, in most cases...if they go bad you don't fix them, you throw them out and replace them.

Note to the OP: Mechanic is the skill of fixing and maintaining things, not fabricating them. Making things most often turns on Machinist, or Armory, or sometimes Electrician. I'm not sure what skill to turn to for assembly tasks that fit none of those...my simplest response would be to allow the relevant Engineering skill to be used for such things, and maybe a selection of IQ/Easy sub-Professional skills for being able to do the assembly by following instructions but not understand it.