View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 01:12 PM   #29
phiwum

Default Re: Not quite getting the arquebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I don't think there is an easy way to come up with a logic-based ruling because none of us is a seasoned arquebusier. Personally, I'm quite skeptical that someone who knew what they were doing would need 20 seconds to re-sort their gear after shuffling around 10 or 20 feet. It is a heavy rifle and a stick, not a giant jenga stack made of lit dynamite. To me, the only issues that can be resolved are 1) intent, if the author happens to drop by and comment; and 2) the best design as a game rule, when it comes to balance with respect to other weapons and rules. In that respect, I'm not a fan of using this as an opportunity to further degrade the value of the arquebus. It was a widespread and effective battlefield weapon in many nations for many years. Layering on limitations until it is worse than throwing a stick at someone feels like it would be simpler and more direct to just remove the weapon from your campaign world.

I guess, Lars, the question is whether this is nerfing the arquebus or not.

If we take "readying" the arquebus to mean the same thing as readying a dagger, then there are no serious restrictions on the arquebus in-game. In a labyrinth, say, characters are walking around with their primary weapon readied the whole time. An arquebusier could, then, get the first (and likely only) shot off just as fast as an archer.

That sounds like an awesome weapon. It's only one shot, but it does massive damage, with a greater than 50/50 chance of killing a ST 10 chainmail wearer in one shot. You only get one shot, but if it doesn't take time to prepare for that shot, it's a heck of a weapon. (Ammo is darned expensive, granted.)

On your reading, the only downside to readying an arquebus is if it doesn't start off in your hands.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote