View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 06:27 AM   #7
Agemegos

Default Re: How do you name planets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
That's a fair point. Sometimes, it's dumb things in other languages. Sometimes it's dumb interpretations of other languages. We have Tons of rivers named "river river" and deserts named "desert desert" and so on.
I was sad to be told that there isn’t really a place called “Torpenhowe Hill”.

Quote:
I googled a bit to see if I could get the meanings of those places quickly, but my google-fu is weak this morning.
And further, Dhunghatti is a very obscure language with only six surviving speakers according to the last census. I have been told supposed translations of perhaps three or four of those place-names, and don’t trust any of them. They are said to be references to mythological events that formed the landmarks. For instance “Yarrahapinni” is supposed to mean “Koala fell”.

“-bucca” means “river”, applied only to rivers and streams that flow calmly in deep channels, not to rivers and creeks tumbling over rapids and flowing down steep valleys.

Quote:
I did, however discover that you must also be fairly near the fantastically-named South West Rocks.
Indeed. In my youth I was a member of the South West Rocks Surf Life Saving Club, and I have a picture of the rocks in question hanging on one of my walls.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 11-25-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote