View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 09:34 PM   #23
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Not quite getting the arquebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The only reason I'm not quite buying Axly's requirement that it takes four turns after each time a person moves is that the same turn "readied" is used for the Blunderbuss and I assume that the Blunderbuss can be fired immediately when in hands, whether one moves or not. I'm not sure about that, of course.

This is my reasoning for the Arquebus' 4 turn readying to be treated differently than the Blunderbuss' 1 turn ready (and for that matter crossbows too):

No other weapon makes the stipulation that it must be fired from a stand. And no other weapon requires 4 turns to ready.

ITL pg 124:
The arquebus is a large musket. It fires a single ball for
over 400 yards. It is considered a missile weapon, doing 3d+3
dice damage. It is very clumsy; it takes 4 turns to ready, and
12 turns to reload and ready after firing. It must be fired from
a stand.

Also, I do not give the braced crossbow +2 DX to the arquebus's stand. Muskets were notorious for not being accurate.

The stand/4 turns to ready makes it a rather inconvenient weapon other than used in set ambushes. The big upside to it in the game is someone with any ST may fire it at full DX. That is, there is no ST requirement. Even a crossbow with a cranequin still gives a DX penalty for not having the required ST. You can have a ST8 DX16 human with an arquebus and be greatly feared.

BTW, don't forget the 1/6 chance of misfire and also the chance of exploding on an 18. ITL pg 125.

Oh and it costs you $100 per shot fired. Sure you can kill most foes in a single shot, but will you earn enough treasure to off set this cost?
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote