View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
Michael Thayne

Default Re: Interface rates for laser rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Fission reactors seem like an odd thing to power it with.
I'd assume such facilities would be hooked up to the planetary grid with large batteries/capacitors to handle the short term enormous power required.
At current grid electricity prices, powering those 1TJ lasers is sufficiently expensive that it may justify having your own power planet. On the other hand, a well-managed fission-powered grid might produce electricity that's much cheaper than grid power is today. Maybe use the same math as I used above, but cut the reactor price in half? That means the facilities cost is 80% of what I originally assumed, or a little over $2000. Make the price per person or ton of cargo $2700 once fuel costs are taken into account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
There are political problems associated with having 1 TJ lasers with a range of 100,000 miles lying around and environmental problem associated with powering the laser and burning the plastic.
Having 1TJ lasers lying around is indeed a big thing. Maybe the launch facilities would be government-controlled. The fission reactors are potentially a political problem, but given the way some countries today (like France) have embraced nuclear power, it seems like a possible future. And the discussions of laser lift propulsion seem to assume the plastic can be vaporized in a clean way, but maybe this is unrealistic—would be happy to have someone who knows more than I do weigh in.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote