View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
sonic232

Default Re: Diceless GURPS: Mechanical Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
This isn't an "encourage players", this is a case for "the players have to buy some of this", and the only question is how much to allow. I suspect that having much of a mismatch between characters in a party, or between characters and opponents, will produce characters who just run out of steam while others are still going.
Very true, I should have made that more clear. Typically when I say 'encourage' I mean 'you COULD go without buuuuut...'

Quote:
This model also creates a strong premium on having very high levels in some skills: someone with Stealth-20, for example, is essentially always going to remain undetected, because she never gets bad rolls.
This is a concern, but that's what Contested Rolls are for. Yeah, they'll remain unseen against mooks, but if your PCs have skills at 20, then important NPCs should as well...

Quote:
Given that resource management of the buying-success points becomes the key to the game, there's a case to be made for using something less complicated than GURPS as the underlying game system. Have you looked at the Gumshoe game system? I don't know details, but it seems to have some related ideas, from what I've heard.
I have, but the thought was to focus on using Wildcard Skills and Action/Monster Hunters style rules to help ease players into the system, eventually converting to using dice once players are comfortable with the other mechanics.

Quote:
Yes, for the basic benefit of +1. It's implied by your basic diceless rules.
That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure others agreed.
sonic232 is offline   Reply With Quote