View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Reality-testing / Playtesting the Guns Default . . .

Greetings, all!

So, I got the opportunity to try out just what numbers result from using Guns (Pistol) at Default, and it seems there is a discrepancy. It seems like GURPS provides results that are too harsh.

First, let's try to figure out all the numbers:

Base DX of 9 (I'm clumsier than average) and a Default skill level, so 9-4=5. IIRC Kromm said that Familiarity penalties don't stack with default penalties, so let's keep it at that.

TDMs and other modifiers:
+1 for “no risk to self” (nobody else shooting, just-serviced weapon, etc.),
+1 for “no risk to others” (all allies behind you, no risk of overpenetration or ricochet)
+1 for “no political or military stake in the outcome.”
+1 for a not-quite ideal environment (basement-like indoor, but with mediocre lighting, a sandy 'floor' etc.)
No modifier for a range that isn't precisely known (very approximately 15 metres or yards)
-1 (possibly) from poor lighting (definitely worse than a 120W bulb at 1 yard).
+2 for Acc of a Glock, possibly another +1 for an extra second (but I doubt it).
+1 for AoA.
-5 (approximately) for a Distance of about 15 yards.
-5 for shooting the target's head

Total numbers: base skill 5 plus +4 from various TDMs, +3 for Aimed AoA, and -10 for combined distance and target size, ±1 for maybe lighting and/or maybe an extra second. That gives a total modified roll against 2±1. Which means hitting should be more-or-less impossible.

Alas, I don't have precise percentages of hits, but neither I nor anybody else seemed to find this an impossible task - usually between half and all of the bullets hit. Which would require a modified skill level of perhaps 10-15. That requires somewhere between 6 and, oh, say 12 more levels of positive TDMs, which seems to be in excess of even the +10 that is provided under ideal circumstances.

(There were other firing modes and other distances, but I'm posting the one I found more memorable. I'll try to get more precise numbers later.)

Am I missing something in the rules, or is the system somewhat 'off'?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 02-23-2016 at 07:54 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote