View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 03:36 AM   #22
Tomsdad

Default Re: [Ultra Tech] Layering Armour

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
I thought a more common problem is troops and police not wearing the armor they are issued because it is too hot and confining. If they expect to need it yeah they wear it but routine days where you don't expect to need it they tend to leave it off.
It can be, but I think thats partly because in reality a lot of time spent soldiering doesn't involve combat even if you're in a combat zone*, but rather humping your kit around the local environment, which maybe particularly unforgiving.

However I think it's less of an issue when you actually lining up in formations on a battlefield (as opposed to more modern conflict situations)

However sometimes the decisions to do so is also impacted by a view on what's being given up. For instance some** soldiers in Vietnam didn't wear their flak vest and plates while on patrol. and yeah that's partly because a flak vest aren't that comfortable to wear especially while carrying a bunch of other kit in humidity etc. But on top of that was the knowledge that their vest even with plates wasn't going to confer immunity against the threats thy might face anyway.

*or a lot of time being police officer doesn't involve getting stabbed/shot

**and just like not every fight in Vietnam was a 'Platoon style' jungle ambush, not every solider ensued their vests!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-01-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote