View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #6
acrosome

Default Re: Dirt Cheap Torchships?

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Then the are a whole pile of weapon based applications for the same tech, what happens if you fire a beam weapon through a visser wormhole?
Antiphotons? Is that a thing? It almost has to be a thing, doesn't it?

EDIT- a quick google search reveals that they probably are a thing, but they don't act like matter/antimatter when they smack into a regular photon since they have no mass. But... in such a collision they might actually combine to form a particle that does have mass. Which is fascinating in itself.

Particle beams might work well, though. Antiprotons, positrons, antineutrons. Hard to collimate the first two, though just like their normal matter equivalents. (Well, in a vacuum, I mean. They might actually self-collimate to a certain degree in an atmosphere.)

I was toying with the usual trope of making the super science technobabble Easy Wormholes (TM) mechanism require relatively flat space, to keep some planetary shenanigans to a minimum. By which I mean shenanigans like firing an antimatter beam in an atmosphere. Society still has lots of dirt cheap energy from powersats, though. Plus that forces more conventional ground to orbit craft, which I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Is that really a problem for a rocket? You can use your reaction mass as coolant before feeding it into the reaction chamber, and then it gets thrown out and stops being your problem. It's certainly a thing for a power plant, though I wouldn't think any more so than any other sort of antimatter power plant.
Well, you can certainly melt a rocket. But yes the mechanism described is very common and mitigates a lot. And even for a power plant you just need a hot enough radiator... :)

A question for the physicists: Would there be any issues with one of these Visser-wormhole antimatter rockets flying through one of these interstellar (Lorentzian?) wormholes? Would the engine have to be shut down and the Visser wormhole allowed to collapse to pass through, and then need to be re-initiated on the other side? Or is there no problem flying through?

Last edited by acrosome; 03-19-2018 at 08:57 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote