Thread: Has it begun?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 08:35 PM   #1
hal

Default Has it begun?

came across this piece and thought "Hmmm - definite Transhuman Space material." Kind of makes one think does it not?

What gets to me is that the CRISPR mechanism has been demonstrated to produce the intended effects, but there was mention of "does it work precisely as expected all the time".

This link discusses the potential problems involved with the CRISPR technique and some of its pitfalls.

So, are we now entering into the beginning of what TRANSHUMAN SPACE was intended to portray? Gives pause to think. I still remember the impact that GATTACA had on me when I first saw it, and in hindsight - the potential conflicts that will come to be when the "Beasts" are up against the "Feebs" - something that I suspect, may not have been discussed when TRANSHUMAN SPACE first came out. It might be in there somewhere, but I don't recall it off-hand.

I wonder what the implications will be when the first "oops" occurs and the first genetic baby gets the bad news that the CRISPR used on it edits other gene sequences that it wasn't supposed to.

Food for thought.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote