View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
ecz

Default rolling in open sight. yes no why when

the other thread about rules consistencies made me think about the many different policies for the GM about dice rolling for NPCs and general events.

When the GM must check something secret, he obviusly rolls secretly.

But what about combat and NPC attacks?

sometime the GM should roll secretly to keep PCs in doubt about the DX level or the damage delivered by the enemy's weapon just saying "missed" or "hit" eventually reporting the final damage.

In other cases I find much more exciting rolling in face of the players. The Player sees in real time if the great axe of the bald bad guy opens the chest of the Hero in half or not.

I adopt a mixed approach.
When the fight is at its climax I usually shift to open rolls. At that point usually player have already a full discovery about DX levels and weapons type. In other cases I do not show dice.

One thing I love is let the players decide their own fate as much as possible:

When at a certain point an event could or could not happen, for example the heaing potions could be all broken after the fall of the backpack from the tree, or the only healer in the village could be traveling for two weeks, I let the players roll the dice telling in advance what result they have to pray for. Often I only say : "roll a die, good things with 1-2, bad with 6, please do not roll 6!" Details are explained after the roll.

so they constanly have the feeling that things happen or does not happen like in the real life, without any pre-designed plot.

and you ?

Last edited by ecz; 10-20-2018 at 09:02 AM.
ecz is offline   Reply With Quote