View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Captain Joy

Default [Psionic Powers] Vulcan Mind Meld

EDIT: I've made significant updates. They are three posts down.

I'm working up the Vulcan Mind Meld for my Star Trek campaign. This is what I've got so far.

--- --- ---
VULCAN MIND MELD

Normally employed only by Vulcans, the Vulcan Mind Meld is a deeply personal thing, part of the private life, and generally not used on aliens --Vulcan mind meld

The Vulcan mind meld is a telepathic link between two individuals, allowing for the exchange of thoughts, thus in essence allowing the participants to become one mind. It is a psionic technique for "synaptic pattern displacement". Those in a meld shared consciousness in a kind of gestalt. --Vulcan mind meld

In GURPS terms, Vulcan’s must first establish contact using Telespeak [GURPS: Psionic Powers, p. 59]. Once this two-way contact is established, you can go to the next level, which is Emotion Sense [G:PP 58], Telereceive [G:PP 58], and Telesend w/ a modified Full Communion [G:PP 60] all seni-linked together; i.e. when you use one, all three are on. There is not a single skill for these semi-linked abilities--use whichever one of the three is most appropriate to the situation. The mandatory Full Communion technique does prevent you from lying, but does not prohibit you from being able to resist mental abilities used on you. These three skills must be developed together; none of the three can be more than one level higher than the other two. While the other abilities within the Telepathy Power are available to Vulcan’s, none of them can be learned at a skill level higher than the lowest of Emotion Sense [G:PP 58], Telereceive [G:PP 58], or Telesend [G:PP 60].

While it is possible to force a mind meld on an unwilling subject, Vulcans are loath to do so, unless under the most dire circumstances. Those who find themselves frequently in this situation often use Mind Shield [G:PP 66] to overcome the problems associated with the Full Communion [G:PP 60] aspect of Vulcan telepathic contact.

--- --- ---

As you can see, I've gone off RAW a bit with the "semi-linked" and modified version of Full Communion. If I am missing something in the RAW that would give me these same effects, I'm all ears. I welcome comments and criticisms in general.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 12-24-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added bold.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote