View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 08:36 AM   #9
starslayer

Default Re: Quick Question: How to secretly resist a spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
On the more general issue, if this is possible at all, would the police even bother to use mind reading? They certainly won't *depend* on it. With standard magic, well, Divination isn't even cast on you, let alone resistible by you, so....
I've considered this in my own campaigns for why all crime is not 'go to diviner, crime solved instantly' in a fantasty setting, here's what I've come up with;

1. Magic has a heftly penalty to its power source that indicates that it can be blocked by proper measures- thus a planned criminal can wear magic blocking clothes (DN laced silk? something else), and won't show up on a magical probe to the past.

2. Divination does not tell you if you were critically WRONG- so if a given diviner is the aid of the law they will be getting wrong information about 1/216 times even if they have final adjusted skill > 16, 1/216 is great for STARTING an investigation and will definitely streamline a criminal process, but it leaves enough doubt that all but the most corrupt/lazy police states would not rely on it exclusively.

3. Assuming a relatively robust legal system protections are likely in place to prevent law abuse of privacy, so mind reading is not used in a shotgun approach, there must be some burden of proof first.

4. Mages, even if relatively common, even if relatively cheap;
a. Will not all be diviners
b. Will not all be working for local law enforcement
c. Will not be inexpensive compared to a 'stock mage' because of those two considerations
Thus law enforcement will do its best to not need to pay the mage for their services. A large enough county may have a diviner on staff, but then that persons time is going to be limited.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote