View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
David Johnston2

Default Re: If race and class were tangible social constructs in a setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerious P. Cats View Post
For a while now I've had an idea for a setting where society collapses and the only people to survive are are re-enactors and role-players. While the re-enactors are off deviding themselves up between kingdoms of the SCA and metal weapons groups the roleplayers who survive build their society as though it were a roleplaying game (a very particular roleplaying game) and so devide everyone within the society is given a race, class and level. I'm trying to work out how this affects people socially. What insitutions would be formed around class and how would being a level 12 farmer be better for you than being a level 7 farmer? Also I'm trying to work out what classes might need to evolve to make such a society work? You need to have craftsmen, farmers beuracrats to keep a society going, and since everything in the society needs to have a class you need to have classes for them (people without a race/class/level are deemed to be a "monster" and have no rights in the society).
They could simply go with classing farmers as all being commoners and hence unleveled and below the PC classes. That was how D&D worked once upon a time.

But if they wanted to class everyone, then a low level Farmer would just be an agricultural labourer. The first few ranks would just be different pay grades. After that you get into the Farmers who actually own a little land and the more land you owned, the higher your level would be. Eventually the only way you'd be able to progress is by switching to the Prestige Class of "Noble".

They'd probably want a Mechanician class. Also Soldiers, Bards, Clerics, Merchants...
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote