View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 04:05 AM   #14
whswhs

Default Re: [Supers] A More Scientific Golden Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
It is accessibility, I just didn't think it needed to be more than -5%. Do you think it needs to be higher?
Well, that's a little complicated. Looking at Accessibility, I see that it's -10% for "Only in altered body form (Invisible, Insubstantial, etc.)," and that seems kind of like the minimum. On the other hand, it's not clear that this ability is tied to some specific body alteration. Which of his abilities does he have to be using to use these derived abilities?

I don't think it's Enhanced Move or even increased Basic Move, because his Mach Punch has "Only while running, -30%." (Incidentally, that seems as if you're giving him two Accessibilities on the same ability, which I think is questionable. And "Only while running" doesn't seem fairly comparable to "Only while flying" or "Only while swimming," as humans spend a lot less time doing the latter two. Or do you mean "Only while running at super-speed"?)

Is it increased Basic Speed that triggers the Speed Tricks? or Enhanced Time Sense? If so, are those traits that he can turn on the way one might turn on intangibility? Or do they come on automatically when he takes his special drug? If the latter is the case, I might say that it's covered by his Trigger. But if, having taken the drug, he can say "I'm going to do X" or "I'm going to become Y" and then he gains access to Extra Attack and Enhanced Dodge and so on, I might give him Accessibility for -10% and drop the Trigger. (It seems a bit of double counting to say both that he gets -10% for having a Trigger and -5% for having an Accessibility that's based on a trait that has the same Trigger.)

At the same time, on a different topic, I'm not sure about denying him Superscience, -10%. Superscience is functionally equivalent to Psionic or Super; it consists of being subject to antipowers AND to specialized technological countermeasures; neither of these can be equated to "has to take a special drug to gain his abilities."

Though when I wrote up Götterdämmerung, with its 14 different power sources, one of my assumptions for it was that there were no generic "Super" abilities that were subject to generic antipowers or technological countermeasures. The former applied to Psionic abilities, and the latter to both Psionic and Biological abilities; no one had generic Super abilities. And Superscience seems like just Super with attached gadget mods. So maybe it's better than you didn't take it.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.

Last edited by whswhs; 04-08-2021 at 04:13 AM.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote