View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 08:14 PM   #10
ak_aramis

Default Re: Wraith anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
To risk a stupid question:

What exactly are you supposed to _do_ in Wraith? What's the game about? I read the original book, back when, and was left simply puzzled. It had all this setting background, along with the artsy and angsty pictures, and imparted that really well. But the Wraiths themselves seemed to have no actual abilities -- in fact, lacking the ability to influence the world seemed to be part of the point -- and so seemed to have little to do other than sitting around angsting about their deaths until they got turned into coins.

I always felt that I really missed something on that one. But then, it was WW, so maybe I was right on the money.
Survive long enough as a wraith to resolve your tethers, without falling to your shadow in a permanent way. Said shadow is played by another player at the table.

Most WoD players seem to ignore the core, and a number choose to play Risen (from one of the supplements) in WoD games allowing multiple cores (or in later nWoD).

Wraith failed to appeal to the powergamers that were readily apparent in WWtA, VTM, and MtA.

The one thing Wraiths have going for them is that they are immune to almost everything except mages, and can literally not be stopped by most mortal things.

So, you can occasionally make yourself known, and you have to try to get the poor victims of your haunting to accomplish the goals that let you move on.

Not all of those victims are humans, either. Vampires, werewolves, magi†, mummies*, ghouls*, risen, changelings, and even some not-formerly-mortal spirits. Magi are the real threat - they can end you easily. Mummies can end you in a way that really sucks - by ending all memories and records of you, and erasing you from reality, but they're usually busy.

* Noting that the WoD versions are not entirely aligned to the typical conceptions thereof.
† sorcerers, including vampiric ones, are a different, and much less dangerous threat, than the magi.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote