View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #15
Anaraxes

Default Re: Technical Grappling – can someone help me figure it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'll give you my answer
Thanks.

(Though that was an 11-minute delay instead of the previous 6. Ghostdancer must have been distracted. On the other hand, that means he disposed of Agent 005 in only five minutes, so I'd better not give him a hard time about it.)

Quote:
In Technical Grappling it's fairly straight-forward: if you retain CP on the thrown foe, and you don't wind up in a position where you physically cannot be said to maintain those control points, you've still got him.
I have in fact successfully grappled TG thanks to the Telegraphic Sale bonus announced a couple of days ago. But I haven't had time to read it and absorb it yet; still building my Comprehension Points. But just skimming, the text for TG's Judo Throw seems fairly clear, yes.

(Were I to submit editorial comments for the high-word-count version, I'd suggest one more sentence up front, such as "There are two types of Judo Throw, defensive and offensive", with the two successive paragraphs leading with a repeat of those terms, frex "You may attempt a defensive throw on your turn after a successful Judo parry" and "An offensive throw may be employed following a Grabbing Parry or offensive grapple", just to make it really obvious which rules apply to which type of throw.)

It seems like a pretty easy compatible back-port to the MA interpretation; defensive throws don't require or establish grapples, offensive ones retain them, granted reasonable relative positioning. Locks break on the assumption that you spent all your CP (that the simpler, earlier systems don't even track) on the damage and influencing the attack roll.

Is there a discussion somewhere of what posture and positions allow what sorts of grapples, or it that more of a common-sense, GM call, kind of thing? (I can imagine various disputes as to what you can actually hang onto behind your back, or if you're in pretzel shapes on the ground.) The fact that CP are tracked by hit location will be important here. That classic Judo grip on the gi lapel isn't something you can hold on to when the guy's on the ground (unless you want to follow him down).

From skimming TG, I can understand the OP better. To answer that "where do I start" question, I'd say: with Basic, and then see how Martial Arts expands on that structure. TG isn't actually a self-contained system independent of those, but builds on them. And TG's text just jumps right in on page 4 with the new additions, assuming (quite reasonably) that you already know the basics. If you don't already have some idea of how the Basic grappling and striking rules work, and aren't used to the Techniques in MA, it would be confusing. The "Recommended Books" section on page 3 pretty much says this, but that might be easy to overlook in the "yeah, yeah, intro, author bio" section. TG is excellent for added value per word count, but that PDF alone won't serve as a good starting point if you spent all your previous GURPS time just with swords and guns and are suddenly trying out a martial arts game.

A couple of old threads that might be useful, to add to the "see Doug's blog" comment:
Default Unarmed Combat Flowchart and Cards
[Technical Grappling] Teach me using examples
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote