View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #14
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Technical Grappling – can someone help me figure it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
An army of one CP?

Anyway, my own grappling question, not limited solely to TG, so hopefully not too much of a thread hijack:

Do throws break your existing grapple and/or lock? That is, do you grapple on turn 1, throw on turn 2, and then on turn 3 can just apply the lock pain and do some other attack; or do you grapple on turn 1, throw on turn 2, then attempt to re-grapple on turn 3?

If the answer differs in real life, Basic, MA, and TG, I'm happy to know the answers for all four. Also if the answer differs for vanilla grapples and locks. (It currently seems to me that a lock is a sub-type of "grapple", so things true of grapples are also true of locks, unless stated otherwise.)

Basic/MA RAW seems clear enough that failed attempts at throws do not break grapples, unless it's a crit fail, which does. That leaves unstated what happens on a successful throw. Since the rules don't say anything happens, normally I'd assume that you retain your lock through the throw, and still have it afterward. Glancing at a couple of YouTube videos on judo, it seems like that might be the case. They don't generally let go. But I'm unsure of the intent, especially given the particularly Sport-y nature of modern judo.
I'll give you my answer, which is that by and large a true throw is going to break your lock but not necessarily your grapple.

In Technical Grappling it's fairly straight-forward: if you retain CP on the thrown foe, and you don't wind up in a position where you physically cannot be said to maintain those control points, you've still got him.

So if you grapple a guy, re-attack to gain an Arm Lock, and then use throws from locks to toss him, your foe remains grappled so long as you still have at least one CP. If you use your CP for the passive penalties and don't spend any motivating the throw (nor spending them to cause damage), you could theoretically do a throw and both start and end with a pretty tight grapple.

I would probably rule - based on my own experience with throws - that you can't maintain a lock through a throw. But that also might be because I've never had to go full Wookiee Beowulf on a foe, and if I were feeling ornery could do so, but have been trained out of tearing my partners' arms off.

The lock differs from a grapple in that usually the locked joint is considered effectively crippled - that is, it can't be used for much of anything. A grapple is just a firm, restrictive hold. Both can be used to injure - a lock based on skill (Arm Lock, defaulting to Wrestling or Judo), and a grapple based on ST (Wrench Limb).

If pushed, I'd probably ask for a (perhaps penalized) arm lock roll to maintain a lock through a throw, but say that no roll is required to maintain a grapple.

Of course, if you're just trying to get a foe onto the ground and not injure them in the process, Takedowns (Force Posture Change in TG) and Sweeps might be better models for that than throws.

Also note a throw is pretty explicit that it happens on the turn following a grapple or parry, and while writing TG, I timed with a stopwatch many varieties of Judo Throw, and found that in many cases, the foe would spend the equivalent of nearly a full turn in the air. That's cruel and unusual punishment as a game mechanic, though.

I will need to peruse the basic rule book and martial arts to answer with any sort of firm factual basis on those questions.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote