View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #19
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: Balancing High Size Modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
What's a distinct disadvantage in a paratrooper d-day campaign, is probably going to be a clear advantage in a Sword and sorcery epic with lots of grappling with grey apes
Except the sword and sorcery character gets the worst disadvantage: double clothing and armor weight.

I agree that the value of the disadvantage varies wildly between games. In a horror game set in the 1920s, it's little more than flavor ("The detective you're looking for is the tallest man I ever seen!"). But in a low-tech game where characters are constantly in combat and need to wear armor? It's a huge disadvantage. I've been offering SM+1 as a -20 disad in my fantasy game and still no one has taken it.

And I hate trying to balance through workarounds like adjusting the price of ST. Not all large characters are going to have a high ST. Is the weak giant disadvantaged less than the strong one? I don't think so.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote