View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #30
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Questions about fencing and two-weapons skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I don't think that is meaningfull;the weights listed for gear are clearly notional suggestions rather than based on rigorous research (as is generally the case for roleplaying games!).
I agree with this point about the weights in this game and really any game. They are there for game balance more so than for historical reference.

With regards to which shield size in real life fits with TFT abstractions, it is not important. To me a small shield is a 2' round or heater with the same square inches or less. In game they would all be 10 lbs. Even bucklers. And large shields would be 3' or more rounds, ovals, heaters and kites. But this is not about game play.

As far as game play, main gauches stop -1 damage. Two Weapons talent allows weapons to stop -2 damage. This applies to all weapons including the MG and it would replace the MG -1, not add to it. This does make the MG (or any weapon) better than the small shield but that is because it is using a talent. Shields have Shield Expertise talent to then make shields stop -2/-3/-4, so at least equal to MG with Two Weapons talent. And Shield Expertise has a lower IQ requirement and no DX prereq.

Thus I still stand by this summary:

MG rules state:
- both attack: Primary weapon strikes using AdjDX; MG strikes at AdjDX-4; MG parry -1 damage (only vs 1 handed melee attacks)
- primary weapon attack: Primary weapon strikes using AdjDX; MG parries -1 (only vs 1 handed melee attacks) <<< no reason to ever do this, since attacking with both is better. This is not a problem
- defend: Defends and MG parries -1 (only vs 1 handed melee attacks)

Two Weapons skill states:
- both attack: Primary weapon strikes using AdjDX; Secondary weapon strikes at AdjDX-4; No parry.
- primary weapon attack: Primary weapon strikes using AdjDX; Secondary weapon parries -2 (only vs melee attacks)
- defend: Defends and both weapons parry for a net -4 (only vs melee attacks)

Using MG with Two Weapons/Fencing skill:
- both attack: Primary weapon strikes using AdjDX; Secondary weapon (MG) strikes at AdjDX-4; MG parry -1 damage (only vs 1 handed melee attacks)
- primary weapon attack: Primary weapon strikes using AdjDX; Secondary weapon (MG) parries -2 (only vs melee attacks)
- defend: Defends and both weapons parry for a net -4 (only vs melee attacks)
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote