View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #16
JLV

Default Re: How do you all handle mounted combat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Again, you have me smiling broadly and nodding enthusiastically.

This is *beautifully* stated. When I think about all the things which Silver, Tornado, and Trigger did to aid The Lone Ranger, Zorro, and Roy Rodgers in their adventures - pulling them from quicksand, biting through ropes to free their captured masters, going for help while the master is trapped in a cave-in, kicking in locked doors, etc. *that* is exactly the type of play we missed out on doing with horses (as a trained follower of the PC - or The Warrior's Familiar, as Lars put it) which could have provided so much additional story-telling fun and color - for those who like their TFT action and adventure on the *pulpy* side.

JK

PS - And let us not forget Edgar RiceBurroughs' version of the same dynamic, with Tarzan and his favorite "horse" and familiar, Tantor, the elephant!
I'm totally with you on this, Jim and Guy, and, unfortunately, equally guilty of missing my opportunities in this regard. Of course, some of that is due to the fact that some of my players were much more interested in the Underdark than they were in above-ground adventuring (where the horse truly can come into its own), but that's no excuse for blowing my opportunities with other players. You guys are exactly right on this topic. Obviously, I need to sit down and re-read the rules and think my way through them better.

PS -- And Tarzan COULD have used a howdah! (Thanks, Jim, for letting me get that one in -- I was feeling left out of the "howdah" thing...) ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote