View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 04:36 PM   #136
Icelander

Default Re: [Modern Firepower] Technothriller gear for secret DHS team in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Side digression:
Am I the only person who thinks there needs to be a Portable Workshop level of toolkit?
Yeah, I've wondered that myself. Seems like a typical PC purchase. More expensive than a pistol, less expensive than a pimped-out sniper rifle with all the fixings. Too bulky to carry around, not too bulky to fit in the party vehicle and be powered by access to electrical outlets by preference, but could be used for certain tasks using a generator, fuel cells or a whole lot of batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
So even the Player acknowledges that O'Toole is a tool. I can respect that.
I think he's basing O'Toole on all the negative stereotypes of people one hates at work. Unreliable in a true crisis, psychopathically callous to literally everything other than his personal goals and yet uncannily good at taking credit for other people's successes, avoiding responsibility for failures and covering their posteriors.

Certain to end up in a managment job some day... or at least he would be, if he was interested in a future career with the US government.

As he's only working for the federal government in order to get a security clearance and infiltrate Onyx Rain, I don't know what will become of him once he fulfils his goal of tracking Vargas down and getting answers about his parentage and powers. Maybe he'll become an upwardly mobile middle-manager of a drug cartel, doing his part to make the outlaw lifestyle as miserable as possible.

At least he now has a PC boss, which is really funny. Agent Rubio specifically avoided asking for more agents to be temporarily assigned to her in El Paso, figuring it would look bad and reflect poorly upon her first command assignment. So she pretty much had O'Toole do everything, up to and including fetching her takeout. And then she went home for a last night in her own bed, leaving O'Toole to spend a restless night keeping watch over their 'assets', i.e. former test subjects of Project Jade Serenity whose potential for disastrous, impulsive acts of destructive foolishness is literally astronomical.

The PC new team leader is a talented, experienced field agent... with no experience as a supervisor and only minimal skills related to the job.* O'Toole, of course, is a gifted subordinate... in an office. His field credentials leave a lot to be desired. Also, he's probably planning to betray us all.

We may be playing Suicide Squad vs. Office Space: Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

*Yes, she embodies the Peter Principle.