View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #31
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: How to give fatigue points more meaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
I don't believe that AlexanderHowl think that. But between a death march and a holiday journey, there is a great leeway. Just look at movies, novels, TV series ... Do the heroes always have time to rest as much as they want?

The only way to make Fatigue Points meaning is to put characters in some situations when they are exhausting themselves ... if only from time to time.

Most of us already do that in his daily life.
"Lost sleep should be a big factor for FP loss in any adventure. If you allow your characters a full night of sleep during a mission, it is a vacation, not an adventure. Instead, they should sleep a maximum of six hours a night, meaning that they start suffering from major problems after a week."

That's pretty straightforward about this being a broad imperative, not a suggestion for how things could be to make FP more relevant.

And while that may not sound like a death march, plenty of people in the real world live that way. But in GURPS, six hours of missed sleep and 18 hours awake means losing 2 FP per day that you are not getting back for the duration. With a fun collection of extra penalties when, a few days in, that's knocked off half your FP.

You don't start suffering major problems after a week. You're basically narcoleptic around day 5. At a week you'd be literally dying (slowly), except you've almost certainly broken from the sleep deprivation schedule unless it's being externally enforced.