View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #222
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Caribbean by Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by a humble lich View Post
It should definitely be a tragedy. Looking at crime statistics, the average murder rate in Galveston over the past few years is about 3 per 100,000. For comparison, the rate in nearby Houston is 11 and in Iceland it is 0.3. So this event is about 6 times more murders than the city usually sees in a year. As a guess, I would say that New Years Festivities would go on, but they would be muted. The turnout to events would be lower than usual, and some events might be cancelled, especially any that were run by the city or businesses near by the murders. But many would still go on because most people in the city would not have any personal connection to those effected.
Combining real world tragedies with events in my campaign means that Galveston County saw over fifty homicides in 2018, making the rate per 100,000 higher than real-life Houston.

Of course, one of the ways my campaign differs from the real world are much higher rates of violent crimes. So, I suppose that my Galveston County also saw another dozen unsolved murders before the start of play and Houston has a murder rate of at least 30-40 per 100,000.

There is a reason why those who see past the Facade disproportionately belong to professions like first responders, ER personnel, forensic scientists, MEs, clergy and social workers. While many reject even the evidence of their own eyes, those with open minds, high Will or both have many chances to realize that the world is no longer the same, as supernaturally-inspired acts of violence outnumer 'regular' crimes.