View Single Post
Old 08-27-2021, 05:33 PM   #812
Prince Charon

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
I won't start discussing this at length in a thread that's about the whole Five Earths setting, unless you want to (especially since there's already been a discussion about that elsewhere in these forums, if you're interested: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...33#post2364233 ), but I don't think that that is how it's supposed to work in BtVS. I think they are, in fact, supposed to be the same people. I'd been reading a lot of The Glass Scientists and other Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde variations, so maybe I tumbled to the idea of "the same person, as they would be if they were minus a few important bits" quicker than some people did? Not sure though.
No, the show makes it pretty clear on multiple occasions that they are separate beings that share memories:
"You're not looking at your friend, you're looking at the thing that killed him."
- Giles in the pilot.

Angel (Liam) and Angelus are not the same person, even if Angel remembers and feels guilty about Angelus's crimes. You are your soul, not your flesh (Yoda was right).

Quote:
Older vampires buying off some of their vulnerabilities/weaknesses compared to fledglings sounds about right. As well as the above, we've seen recurring vampire characters (mainly Angel and Spike) taking all sorts of liberties, dashing across somewhere in daylight and getting away with it, and mooks going up in a fireball within seconds. That could be just plot armour, but equally it would work to say it wasn't.
Yeah, the more powerful a demon gets, the more it can remove or shield its weaknesses, in general.

Quote:
I'd say yes on the Per. There was a newly turned vampire in Series 1 that bragged about it, and in Series 7 they used Spike as a bloodhound to smell out a trail of blood that a demon had left, and later on Angel said he could smell Spike on Buffy's clothes.
Maybe Discriminatory Smell, also. Either way, the question now becomes how good the bonus should be. 'I can hear the worms in the earth,' if taken literally, would mean that no-one could sneak up on them and they'd be far better at eavesdropping than they seem to be, so that might be the vampire being dramatic. Probably better to err on the side of plausibility, so high Per, but not 'able to literally hear worms moving underground' high.

Quote:
(Do they actually have Night Vision, apart from that?)
Maybe. Hard to tell, since being a visual medium (but not one where a 'Night Vision Goggles PoV' would have made sense), they didn't have people really in the dark that much. We can treat that as artistic license for some scenes, though.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote