View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #16
dwalend

Default Re: Alternative infantry Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Correct. 2 AP guns combine for a an aggregate A2, but it's still only effective against INF/D0 targets. Anything that can do A2 by itself should probably be able to do A1 against non-AP targets, otherwise it wouldn't have enough power to do A2 to begin with...
Got it. I don't agree.

It really depends on what you have to do to mission-kill an INF counter. You don't have to get some form of mass or energy through the BPC for an CRT X; you just have to eliminate the INF's combat effectiveness. Break his nuclear shell RPG, bump the suit hard enough to knock out the man, zoink that critical ECM system with a blast of microwaves, set off a glue grenade to freeze his exoskeleton, use your more bloody-minded imagination. If he can't shoot he's done. (In the same vein you can set off a nuclear shell just underneath a SHVY's left treads and flip it upside-down. An INF counter might survive that to fight on.)

Most of these attacks wouldn't take out an LT, even if you did them twice, or twice as well as that 1 AP weapon. Thus a 2 AP attack sounds fine to me.

I'd argue that a 2/1 AP gun has a precedent via Nihon ogres firing monowire, but don't remember if it's from GURPS Ogre or somewhere else. Or you could just tie two 1/1 AP guns together. [SHRUG/]

A 2/? AP attack wouldn't break the game, given precedents. I'm not sure we'd pull any AP-only counter out of the box given how rarely people target AP guns.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote