View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 02:42 AM   #43
Tomsdad

Default Re: Fixing round length in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
1) Yep, that's what I worry over. I don't know the rules well enough and I've been using 4th since a year after it came out and some 3rd back in the day, so I'm not going to expect the players to know it well.

2) I and the one player who do know the rules the most plan things out during other players' and the GM's turns so that we can take into account of possible actions so that by the time our turn comes up, we already know what we want to do. I'm actually glad for this player because the others get to see cool new ways to use basic items.
I think there is a sliding scale here, I'm not literally talking about running stuff at the 1 second level at the table top (this would be impossible anyway for practical reasons) and I don't think you think I am! And my experience is is player tend to be planning out what they will do as the action unfolds at the tabletop at a much slower rate than the second by second time frame being describe.

But the play style I'm trying to avoid is the one where players spend a long time when it's their turn to intricately plot (often involving a lengthy OOC conversation amongst themselves) out what they will do often from a top down position of situational knowledge in what supposed to be a second by second chaotic combat in often chaotic and unknown situations.

Other then my sense of desired verisimilitude, there's also a practical concern (for me anyway). Combat resolution takes time even at the best of times, anything I can do to reduce extra time being taken is (again for me) a good thing.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 04-15-2020 at 02:49 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote