View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #52
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#39): Daredevil, Luck, Super Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I agree that it's a bit out of place in a hard-nosed realistic campaign.
I think the real determinant is "Do we want the dice to fall where they may as an absolute?" If so, then yes Luck is inappropriate. So are some of the other mechanics that mess with dice rolls, as are rules that mess with dice rolls. This would also preclude the GM fudging rolls, though to be fair it wouldn't be a problem because - when committed to going with the dice results and nothing else - you're not rolling unless all possible outcomes work for the story and the player's sense of fun.

I've not played in any hard-nosed, realistic adventures, but I can certainly see them lending themselves more to strictly following the dice than a more lighthearted game. On the other hand, someone is free to have a gritty, realistic setting where "Luck" is fine because some folks realistically have it when you view their lives in hindsight. That person may have simply rolled well each time or may have instead used Luck to try and skew things in his or her favor. If "Let the dice fall where they may!" is the driving force of the game, then even a fanciful or silly setting still ought to disallow Luck.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote