View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 06:37 AM   #21
Maz

Default Re: Let's GURPS: Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
Today, I realized that I don't use feints enough in my games, so I did a bit of research and determined the situations which seem to make them useful. Does anyone know any more?
I almost never see Feint being used in traditional games as the PC's tend to have higher skill level than their enemies, and so Deceptive attack is usually enough to get through. And if a single enemy has a higher skill/defence then the PC's exploit their numbers to flank and so on.

There are simply too many other things to do in a chaotic skirmish that spending time Feinting is rarely worth it.

However in a duel, especially one where a single hit might determine the fight feint is king. In a roughly equal match feinting becomes the most important way to get through the others defense. And to both help you get a better Feint AND protect against your opponents feint and deceptive attacks, you use Evaluate. It can become so that the first to start evaluating wins. And if your opponent starts evaluating and you do not, then you might have a big problem.

Feint is also really worth it if the opponents defense can somehow be harmful. for instance if he has a weapon that damages your weapon. Or if they rely on using slip to get into CC with you.

Also, it's not a question of Feint or Deceptive attack you use both.
Finally, what really makes Feint useful is the Feint technique.

Example.
Two fighters both with Sword+shield (2 DB) and CR.
Fighter A: Skill:16+3 lvls Feint. Parry:14
Figher B: Skill 17. Parry 14.

Fighter A: Start to evaluate.
Fighter B: Attacking with Deceptive attack -4/-2= Skill 13. Target defends with retreating Parry 14+1-1=14.

Fighter A: Evaluates again.
Fighter B: Using deceptive attack is now almost pointless. So he attacks normally (hoping for a crit)= Skill:17. Target defends with Skill:14+1=15.

Fighter A: Evaluate #3.
Fighter B: Also starts evaluating.

Fighter A: Makes a Feint with Effective skill 15+3+3= 21.
Fighter B: Protects against Feint with skill: 18. Losses by 3. Attacks with deceptive -4/-2 at skill: 14. Target defends with skill:13.

Fighter A: Deceptive -2/-1 attack attack skill: 13.
Fighter B: Defends with retreating parry at skill:14+1(retreat)-3(feint)-1(deceptive)=11.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote