View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 03:01 PM   #440
43Supporter

Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Hmm, I am not sure where you get "and the way CBs work, dispersing bomblets *above* the target, the trenches and berms will *not* save them".
Here's a pic of CBs in a test operation -- note they detonate well above ground: http://www.army-technology.com/wp-co...-DoD-large.jpg -- the detonation expands spherically; so if one goes off above a trench, a berm is not going to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Now in the real world CBs do indeed distribute sub munitions, the CW rules don't mention that (and we have to be very careful of attributing real world effects to Car Wars flavour text). All we have is the statement that it has the 1.5 burst radius for full damage and diminishing damage in increasing radius.
Ah, yes -- that old argument. I suppose one could add Proximity Fusing if one assumes CBs are ground-contact; but I don't subscribe to that. (I figure a large part of the expense and loss-of-damage-potential for CBs is that they *don't* detonate on-contact, but have to scatter bomblets from on-high.)

As to Scatter: That's why there's a guidance package on the bombs -- as Billy Connolly put it, "Bomb-O-Gram". (Believe it or not: This is the result of a rather spectacular T-H failure -- uncorked a CB1500 from a mile up at 300MPH, and rolled a perfect 2. After that, guidance packages became standard-operating-procedure.)

IRSS v. Thermograph: Annoyingly, T-G is Military-Only, which is why I left it off; this would be a heck of a surprise to my local outdoor-supply stores, who have man-portable thermographs in stock. (How times change....)

ObVehicle -- talking of Proximity-Fused ammo, imagine what this upgrade could do with same:

_'39 Strafe_

Std. Heli.; Su. PP w/ PC, SC [23,000 PF]; Pi., Gn. 3x 3-sp. EWP [1 ea. L, R, U]; 12 x MG [HD or Expl. am.] [F] [3 in body; 3 ea EWP]; 7x Link [1 ea.: F MGs; L EWP MGs; R EWP MGs; U EWP MGs; L & R EWP MGs; F & U EWP MGs; all MGs]; 6x CB15 (3x Link; 1 ea. 2 CBs) [U]; IR; Ext. Dr. Cont.; 2x TC; 4x Ext. Rot. [2 ea. M, S]. Armor: Fuselage: 270 pts. FPP; Rotors: 2x 10-pt. FPP; EWPs: 3x 10-pt. FPP. $142,150; 15,290 lbs. Acc.: 10; TS: 165; HC: 3.
[Armor: F, U: 50; L, R, B: 45; T: 35. Main Rot.: 10; Sta. Rot.: 10. Each EWP: 10.]

Up-Armored Opt.: add 110 pts. LR Metal Fuselage armor [F, U: 21/50; L, R, B: 18/45; T: 14/35]. [Acc.: 5; TS: 135] $151,225; 22,990 lbs.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote