View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 05:57 PM   #20
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: (DF) Minimum Points for a Dungeon Delver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
HM. I've really enjoyed playing first level AD&D. My favorite level. I've even had a lot of fun playing a first level MU. My one Sleep spell felt like a nuke. But I have to admit that MUs scaled badly compared to other classes. In AD&D, a 1st level fighter was just plain more useful than a 1st level MU.
1st level MU was so pathetic that there was a Murphy's Rule on it where a ordinary housecat was cleaning itself next to a dead 1st level MU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
I wonder what an AD&D first level fighter would be worth in GURPS cp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Depends on attributes. A fighter with mediocre attributes could easily be 25 points or less (attributes: all 10. Skills: weapon of choice-12).
Actually looking at the PHB for AD&D1 it is surprising much more then that as they knew (was proficient in) four weapons and was only -2 with a weapon he wasn't familiar with (PHB 37) The closest thing in GURPS to that is the 45 point version of Weapon Master.

MUs by contrast had only one weapon and a -5 to any other at 1st level.

In my D&D to GURPS I figure a Fighter is at least [14 points] by having 1 point in each of the following: Skills: Armoury/TL, Bow, Brawling, Crossbow, Melee Weapons (Axe/Mace, Flail, Knife, Polearm, Spear, Shortsword, Two handed Axe/Mace, and Two-handed sword), Shield, Throwing.

You may think that is too low but they only had an 10 on a d20 (50%) to hit something with no armor and no DEX bonuses at first level. Going through the math (assuming stats of 10 across the board) a Dodge (5.0) only works 4.6% of the time which means the attack succeeds 95.4%. 50%=x*95.4% or 50%/95.4% or 52.4% which is way closer to 10 (50%) then to skill 11 (62.5%) This is all ignoring the longer AD&D1 combat round ("a turn is 10 minutes, a round 1 minute, and a segment 6 seconds") which really tanks the skill level...even at high AD&D1 levels. It far better in D&D5e where combat is in 6 seconds segments but that is still less then stellar compared to a 1 second combat round in GURPS.

I fact in term of percentages AD&D1 1st level characters majorly suck compared to even 75 point characters if you don't factor in their special abilities (such as a Fighter having 45 point Weapon Master out of the gate)

Last edited by maximara; 03-29-2019 at 07:14 PM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote