View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 10:53 PM   #8
Execudork

Default Re: Wish List for Car Wars version 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDLadage
I cannot say this loudly enough:

SCALE SCALE SCALE SCALE SCALE SCALE

The original game (1" = 15') was good for its day, but the x3 scale they used was all wrong (in my not so humble opinion). This is a game about CARS! It is a word that deals in VISUAL IMPACT when rating the quality of a game.

...I am surprised that the last version did not do this.
Um, did you look at the latest version of the game? It is in matchbox scale. Take the original 1" cars, multiply all dimensions by 3 (in effect, x9). You get a car 3" long, 1.5" wide.

Now pick up your $0.85 matchbox toy from WalMart... measure it. You'll find it's nearly exactly 3" long, and 1.5" wide. Too close to be coincidence - somebody was thinking about this.

The original scale is good for one thing - big events. Hammer Downs or any of the "use-all-the-road-bits-you-have" race tracks are simply too large for the average player to setup in matchbox scale. I discovered that a really well-stocked model-railroad store will sell scenery for N scale - which is 1" = 15 feet. The only downside to the perfect little plastic cars is their price. Seems N scale isn't very popular amoung railroad-enthusiasts, so each cheap-plastic car costs about $5.00. sigh.

***EDIT***

I dug out one of my matchbox cars and actually measured it. My little replica Ford Mustang is 3" long, but only slightly more than 1" wide. I think the scale still fits, since real cars are not usually 1/2 as wide as they are long. 1/3 seems more appropriate (except perhaps for something like a HUMMER)

Last edited by Execudork; 08-28-2004 at 10:56 PM.
Execudork is offline   Reply With Quote