View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 08:48 PM   #5162
tshiggins

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeGamer View Post
I wonder if Confederates captured in arms against the Unites States in the service of a foreign power will be tried for treason this time through?
Or just summarily shot.

After all, at the time Grant was president, William T. Sherman served as the Commanding General of the Army. Under his leadership, I'd think he'd make Winfield Scott's brilliant invasion of Veracruz, and Scott's subsequent fast march on Mexico City, look like a mild trespass.

I doubt Sherman would have much patience with men who took up arms against the United States a second time, especially given such lenient treatment, after the first. I also think Grant would politically back the decision to treat them, harshly -- as would most of the population in the states that backed the Union.

It might result in an upsurge of domestic insurgency in the Southern States, though.

That would draw harsh reprisals, also, I'd think. After all, Phil Sheridan retained command of the military forces in the central and south-central United States, and had repeatedly demonstrated little patience with those who resisted reconstruction and reintegration.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote