View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #15
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Spaceships: Chance of a space combat aid. But is there a need? 2D or 3D?

Okay, the ships move, rotate, and can be spawned (right now with just an ugly button). There is also an algorithm that allows a 'ship' to be constructed as a formation of other ships, but it is disabled due to lack of ship models (it's kinda pointless without them). Currently, I only have an algorithm for constructing a Pyramid formation, but I suppose I will later add such formations as a cube, a screen, and maybe some other.

Here are some things that are a priority to turn it from an ugly sub-alpha into a beta with actual usefulness in a GURPS Spaceships Battle:
  • Ship models in FBX format.
  • A hex grid can be tiled without much adjustment, in PNG.
  • A space skybox, perhaps even several.
  • A method of drawing/scaling a cone in such a way that its 'flat' part is replaced by a slice of a sphere of different angle depending on some variables (to represent accessible area for shooting/flying).

Some features that I think are doable:
  • Saving camera settings etc.
  • (Somewhat harder) Saving ship/vector positions and rotations (and HP, notes etc.).
  • Drawing helper lines to aid in visualization of directions and angles.
  • Rangefinder that helps figure distance and angle from a selected ship to a target (either ship or vector).
  • Ability to enter raw coordinates and eulerAngles instead of using the mouse.
  • Alternate camera modes, including orthogonal (for people who find the roaming 3D camera disorienting).

If you're absolutely fearless, I can show this little work in progress already by sending the files in an archive.