View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #49
SuedodeuS

Default Re: Resolved,There is no point to statting up anything that is not a PC

If making important NPCs or NPC templates, I generally get crunchy with it. This is simply to insure that I have internal consistency between what the enemies can do and what the players can do - I'm not going to have the zombie trying to break a pinned survivor's neck use different rules than a survivor attempting to do the same to a zombie! Of course, some behavioral stats are things I don't bother with. My zombies don't have any "animal behavior" traits other than Berserk - I simply note how they behave and will run them accordingly.

On the other hand, if creating a new trait that I have no intention of letting the players ever have access to in that campaign, I won't get quite so crunchy. I'll stick with normal rules up to the point that I'd prefer this trait work differently, then have it do so without any regard for modifiers, points, etc. For example, in my zombie game, some of the zombies have the Electrical Disadvantage. I don't like the fact that this normally only comes into play on a critical hit, so I've revamped it to take effect as a result of any electrical damage. Rather than determining what modifiers to use, or seeing if there might be another Disadvantage I can base it off of, I simply note how it works now and get on with it.

In all cases, I outright ignore points when making NPCs and NPC templates. Points only matter for PCs, after all. If a player ever takes an Ally or Enemy (or Patron, or Dependent), of course, I'll actually pay attention to the point total.