View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Does DFRPG convert damage adds to dice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post

Say your maul delivers 3d+7 damage. Does that remain 3d+7, or can it convert to 5d?

I don't see any suggestion in the books for converting a big bonus into dice, so I believe the DFRPG way is to keep the above at 3d+7 (which means bonuses from Weapon Master, AOA, etc. stay based on 3d, not 5d). But let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks –
The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game doesn't talk about that option, as it's a little too math-geeky.

Aside: Even in GURPS, you always convert final damage after all adds – flat or per-die. You never convert adds to dice and then add per-die adds to the new number of dice. This is one reason why the mechanic is a little cumbersome: You have to retain, for instance, 3d+7 somewhere, because +1 per die makes that 3d+10 (and then 5d+3, or 6d-1 if you prefer); if you choose to list 3d+7 as 5d, +1 per die doesn't suddenly make it 5d+5. This is most concisely presented on p. B269:
If a modifier is given "per die of damage," apply it per die of basic thrusting or swinging damage, before you convert adds to dice.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote