View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 02:07 AM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Urban arcana: What are shadowkinds options to make up a past when they do not exist?

Hello everyone.

So while I'm trying to run an Urban Arcana GURPS conversion, I'm wondering what are the options for Shadowkind (that is, people from the D&D world dropped in the middle of the modern world) to circumvent the fact that there are no records of them existing until literally 3 days ago, if they want to get an identity. I have a few options already, I'm just looking for more, and the consequences of using these options.

1) Forgeries.

Outright make up a past and the documents to go along with that past.

Advantages: it gives them somewhat of an existence in the world.
Disadvantages: It requires some contacts. Also, some skills will be difficult to explain.

2) Pretend to be a refugee

There are enough wars, these days mostly in Africa, that if you have the right phenotype, you could pass for someone coming from there.

Advantages: There are organizations dedicated to help refugees, and you can justify your fighting skills.
Disadvantages: depending on where you end up, the Gov't might decide to send you back to "where you came from".

3) Fake amnesia.

Pretend you have woken up where you just arrived and have no memories whatsoever of your life before. You don't even remember your own name, nor why you woke up in the middle of New York with a chain mail, a bastard sword, and a purse full of copper coins.

Advantages: you don't have to act consistently with an elaborate cover story.
Disadvantages: Faking amnesia might not fool some medical professionals. Even then, I have no clue what the Gov't would do if they found an amnesiac person that they can't find any records of them existing anywhere, to say nothing of the walking armory the typical D&D adventurer is carrying on their person at any given time.

Any other ideas?
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote