View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
Seraphim

Default Restructuring RPM for the Cabal

Hi everybody!

I've been in the process of starting up a new campaign set in the Cabal universe, probably taking place in the Cliffhangers era. My players want a world where all sorts of crazy things are around, mummies in Egypt, Taoist elemental mages, werewolves, vampires, oh my! I figured the Cabal setting would give us what we need.

I'd like to use Ritual Path Magic, taking the Hermetic magic a la Carte suggestion from Cabal. At least one of my players is pretty well versed in real world Hermetic writings, so this should be fun.

However, my first stumbling block is this: I don't think the current Paths align well with Hermetic metaphysics. At least, not all of them. The two main culprits would be Undead and Spirit, followed by Energy and Matter (they feel maybe too "modern" for Hermetic thought?). I thought about trying to arrange the Paths according to the Decans, but 36 Paths? That's too much. Maybe according to the Zodiac? What would they be in this case?

What do you all think? Would you restructure the Path system for a Cabal game? What outside sources might be helpful? I've glanced over Ars Magica's system, but haven't had the chance to really dig into it to see if it's helpful or not.

Thanks!
Seraphim is offline   Reply With Quote