View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Mailanka

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
That's exactly why I'm wary. With TL12 weapons, people are more likely to be pink mist than wounded. Particularly the unarmoured types like Han Solo or lightly armoured ones like Commander Shepard. Unless you nerf the weapons TL to less than 12 due to also having such worries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Higher TL combat can be mildly dangerous I've noticed . . . . last session 2 PCs duked it out (or rather, shamelessly ambushed) 8 enemies of fairly good caliber, at TL 9-11 (various)
As you'll note in the coming months, I'm a big fan of not just working something out in theory, but doing at least a basic test on it to see how things play out. There are a variety of ways to tackle ultra-tech combat, but most of them end up being as dangerous as, or slightly less dangerous than, modern combat, with the exception of disintegrators, which are just stupid weapons unless you grasp their cosmic nature and surround them with equally stupid forms of armor and force fields, but that runs into another problem. But I have an entire article that actually touches on this and similar problems (which came up a lot in ship combat, of all things, and when I was tinkering with an attempt at GURPS Transformers, which I may yet finish). So I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

Suffice it to say, I have lots and lots of word count surrounding Ultra-Tech, it's strengths and its weaknesses.