View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #30
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Parahumans: What types do you think the canon needs, what type would you like to

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Actually quite a lot of them do outlaw Fast-talk. Laws against fraud often do include deals where both parties didn't correctly understand the terms. Admittedly it can be tough to prove you were clueless, and most people are reluctant to go to court to prove beyond a reasonable doubt they were idiots, so cases rarely go to trial unless you fast-talked a child or somebody else who is already legally incompetent (and hence already "enjoys" the legal presumption of being an idiot). But still you often theoretically could sue somebody for fast talking you.

I suppose they'd apply to Diplomacy too, but I usually wouldn't let you attempt Diplomacy to convince people of stuff that has *no* upsides for them. If you can't frame something as at least arguably win-win for the other guy, I generally wouldn't let you sell it with Diplomacy.
Not all fraud is Fast-Talk and not all Fast-Talk is fraud. But the point of diplomacy is to make the target accept a deal where the upside for the target is less good and/or the upside for the Diplomancer is more good than the target would accept if the target's better judgement wasn't compromised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Someone who'd managed to get his Fat talk up to 20 might find his use of it quite regulated. It might even need to be a Secret and used with appropriate caution.
Whoa, that's . . . borderline dystopian-sounding. You need licensing for casually talking!