View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #48
Otaku

Default Re: Partial Fix of Magic: Fire College

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithlas View Post
I would like a consistent framework. That's why I left Shadowrun 5th edition (they lost consistency).
What do you mean by consistent framework?

GURPS is a tool kit system. This means it is consistent in that it is a generic, universal role-playing system. You can do serious games, silly games and everything in between. You can do high fantasy, hard sci-fi, any setting including whatever fantastic or mundane elements you like. However individual campaigns may involve elements are barred.

The suggestion I made was no worse than what we have: we have magic in some settings as (mostly) Skills, we have it as Powers, and there are multiple systems... and that is fine. Magic doesn't always work the same and if you're running a campaign where players reality hope, they should be used to even the laws of physics being inconsistent at times. In some settings Magic can be handles as skills, in others as powers. The same goes for chi-based abilities.

What I proposed was that all such things have a unifying scheme that takes one of three approaches:

1) All (or at least mostly) Skill Based, like the default Magic system and chi-fueled abilities.

2) All (or at least mostly) Advantage based, like Powers

3) A blend of the two, akin to how GURPS handled psionics in 3e (and possibly an option presented in 4e books I don't own).

So all I am suggesting is to make this more generic and universal. These three options should be recognized so that when designing the setting, you select what best represents "Powers" in your setting, be that magic, psionic, super, divine, etc.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote