View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Some reflections on themes in Pyramid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desorto View Post
After all, the number of people who are really into to playing magic users is certainly smaller than the number of people who regularly play Banestorm campaigns.
I think your assumption here is unsupported by evidence. We know that fantasy, in general, is the most popular RPG genre, and I SJ Games, I believe, has stated that it represents a plurality, if not a majority, of what their customers are playing. However, Banestorm is only one specific fantasy campaign. It was reasonably popular, but not spectacularly so. I would not be surprised at all to learn that Banestorm players made up only something like 10% of GURPS players. In that case, it's quite possible that "players of magical characters" outnumber, even greatly outnumber, Banestorm players, and that trying to sell to Banestorm players is a worse plan than making generic magic articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desorto
I'm only speaking for myself here, but I know that I am most looking forward to issues on the wishlist that are tied to familiar old worldbooks (e.g. Cyberpunk and Banestorm). That isn't to say that I wouldn't want the clerics issue or the various magical issues, but they honestly don't excite me as much as something that offers up a new take on the familiar. That sort of thing is far more useful as a GM, since there's room for everyone in the group to get a few shiny new toys to play with, not just the spellslinger.
The problem is, most GURPS players are not playing in "familiar" settings. GURPS is a toolkit, and as such, attracts more worldbuilder GMs than other games. As a result, most GURPS campaigns are set in a world of the GM's own devising, rather than one of the standard campaign settings. In those cases, generic items or rules variants are better, because they can be incorporated into a variety of homebrewed campaigns, whereas material for a specific setting, even a new take on it, is really only useful for the minority of people who use that specific setting.

In short, GURPS is not D&D. We can't assume that the majority, or even a plurality, of people are using the "default settings", the way WoTC can assume people are playing Forgotten Realms or Eberron.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote