View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 08:02 AM   #13
Devil_Dante

Default Re: standard mafig for DF help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Just a side note: That information is built into the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, so if you have the RPG, you don't also need the article.

I'll also echo what has been said already: What lets magic-users "break the game" is the combination of save-or-lose spells (like Charm and Flesh to Stone), utility spells (especially those that enhance mobility or circumvent traps or obstacles), and no time pressure. If casters can always take breathers to let their FP and Energy Reserve fill up, they'll be able to use the save-or-lose spells to dominate in combat and the utility spells to dominate out of combat. If taking breaks means more random encounters that demand further resources, or just failing at the adventure because opening the dungeon door started a countdown, then the problem becomes self-correcting.

I've GMed GURPS since the beginning (1986), and in those 30+ years, I've never really seen magic "break the game" when I've kept the pressure on. It's only when I got lazy and let people operate at full FP all the time that magic got out of hand. At some point, I realized that this was a bit silly, like letting soldiers stop for coffee and donuts in an enemy free-fire zone, and I stopped doing it.
it's true, i think is just a managment problem: the way you create and handle encounters and the time between them. Coming from D&D where save or die spells where pretty much useless, i am expectring the worse.

Anyway, we are going to start next week. I'm going too see what will happen!

Thank you for replies
Devil_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote